Saturday, October 25, 2008

CLOSER THAN I'VE EVER BEEN

This is a bit of a departure from my usual glib mental masturbations. I've been doing a little soul searching lately..as in trying to formulate a workable definition of a soul/mindforce thingamabob that can peacefully co-exist with my empirical cosmology...which as some of you may know, is all tickety-boo up until that split second before the Big Bang. I'm fine with WHEN, WHERE & HOW you and I made it here, even the WHAT we are, but the WHY needs a little tweaking.

Now I'm going to use lyrics from songs (which I shamelessly nicked) that have resonated with my search. Some mysteriously arrive through Christian Crossover Pop songs???? but most others are from popular songs..I'll spare you the bizarre oddities..this time. Why these words...I don't know? But most of these lyrics have stuck and have mercilessly rattled around in my cranium for decades.


Here we go...
STACIE ORRICO/More To Life
"I’ve got it all still I feel so deprived
I go up, I come down and I'm emptier inside
Tell me what is this thing that I feel like I'm missing
And why can't I let go

There's gotta be more to life...

Than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me

Cause the more that I'm...Tripping out thinking there must be more to life
Well it's life, but I'm sure... there's gotta be more
Than wanting more"



LEAHY/Down That Road
"Had all the things I thought I wanted
Then I wanted more
And in my mind this all was fine
No need to check the score
And then one day I lost it all
That's when I realized
Might never have known about it
Might never have known
All that I'd been missin' in my life

I know that what I touch and see
Can't fill me up
So if I want to wake this soul
It's about love

Oh when you go down that road
There's no turning back
And when you go down that road
It's plain to see that From out of this bleeding world
There's nowhere else I'd rather Go than down that road"

STING/Lose My Faith In You
"You could say I lost my faith in science and progress
You could say I lost my belief in the holy church
You could say I lost my sense of direction
You could say all of this and worse but
If I ever lose my faith in you
There'd be nothing left for me to do

Some would say I was a lost man in a lost world
You could say I lost my faith in the people on TV
You could say I'd lost my belief in our politicians
They all seemed like game show hosts to me"

SARAH MCLAUGHLIN/Sweet Surrender
"It doesn't mean much
It doesn't mean anything at all
The life I've left behind me
Is a cold room
I've crossed the last line
From where I can't return
Where every step I took in faith
Betrayed me
And led me from my home"


PETER GABRIEL/Love To Be Loved
"This old familiar craving
I've been here before, this way of behaving
Don't know who the hell I'm saving anymore
Let it pass let it go let it leave
From the deepest place I grieve
This time I believe
And I let go I can let go of it

Though it takes all the strength in me
And all the world can see
I'm losing such a central part of me
I can let go of it

You know I mean it
You know that I mean it
I recognize how much I've lost
But I cannot face the cost
'Cause I love to be loved"


SUZANNE VEGA/In My Book Of Dreams
"Number every page in silver
Underline in magic marker
Take the name of every prisoner
Yours is there my word of honor

I took your urgent whisper
Stole the arc of a white wing
Rode like foam on the river of pity
Healed the hole that ripped in living"


MAE MOORE/Bohemia
"I go places inside my head
With an eye on tomorrow to keep my soul fed
I came here of my own accord
I came to witness the unexplored
Green valleys and a fertile sea
I came to rediscover the real me
I like it here at least so far
I've got no plans of saying au revoir

Elevated visions when I close my eyes
Stretched out underneath these amaranth skies
Make me feel...
Closer than I've ever been to being alive
Since I've arrived in Bohemia"


MADONNA/Frozen
"Now there's no point in placing the blame
And you should know I suffer the same
If I lose you
My heart will be broken

Love is a bird, she needs to fly
Let all the hurt inside of you die
You're frozen,
When your heart's not open"


BOWIE/Moonage Daydream
"Keep your mouth shut, but listen to the world inside
Keep your head on, but open up your eyes real wide
Keep the change strong, let the things you torn aside
You messing any road to high

Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe
Put your ray gun to my head
Press your space face close to mine, love
Freak out in a moonage daydream oh yeah!"


OZARK MOUNTAIN DAREDEVILS/Within Without
"Now I'm runnin' from my house
'cause my house
doesn't please me
people comin' in, goin' out,they don't see me
now I'm flyin' through the air
I'm not scared of people all underneath,
in a heap, askin' how'd we get to here from there
where our lives had some meaning
and all the days weren't the same
we played no games and we knew ourselves within, without"

Would you be so kind as to add some lyrics that resonate with your search for your inner self?

26 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:37 pm

    Compared with your mental masturbations, I have only mental aberations.

    Thinking of lyrics
    is for freaks
    Gautami here seeks
    for you a few kicks

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I stop my rhyming here now
    I will go and have some chow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Incredible String Band : October Song

    I used to search for happiness,
    And I used to follow pleasure,
    But I found a door behind my mind,
    And that's the greatest treasure.


    Kabir: (Ok, this one was never on "Top of the Pops"

    Where do you search me?
    I am with you
    Not in pilgrimage, nor in icons
    Neither in solitudes
    Not in temples, nor in mosques
    Neither in Kaba nor in Kailash
    I am with you O man
    I am with you
    Not in prayers, nor in meditation
    Neither in fasting
    Not in yogic exercises
    Neither in renunciation
    Neither in the vital force nor in the body
    Not even in the ethereal space
    Neither in the womb of Nature
    Not in the breath of the breath
    Seek earnestly and discover
    In but a moment of search.

    Joni Mitchell : Woodstock

    We are stardust
    We are golden
    And we've got to get ourselves
    Back to the garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have these too! The one that first comes to mind and strikes a chord every time I hear it is from Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb':

    When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse,
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone.
    I cannot put my finger on it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have no fear
    For giving in
    Have no fear
    For giving over
    You know that in the end
    It's better to say too much
    Than to never say what you need to say again

    Even as your hands are shaking
    And your faith is broken
    Even as the eyes are closing
    Do it with a heart wide open... wide

    Say what you need to say
    Say what you need to say

    John Mayer "Say"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Midnight is where the day begins
    Lemon by U2

    I'm growing old and don't wanna know
    Black-eyed dog by Nick Drake

    We were born before the wind
    also younger than the sun
    Into the mystic by Van the Man

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. "And you wanted to dance so I asked you to dance
    But fear is in your soul
    Some people call it a one night stand
    But we can call it paradise."


    It's late, and this popped into my head. Tsk. I must be pissed.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:25 pm

    The first one that sprung to mind:

    "And heartache is the best teacher.
    Don’t I get a gold star every time?
    In the need to cool this fever,
    in the need to feel alive.
    But when my blood starts moving,
    all the lost years crush me from within.
    I’ve done enough sleepwalking for one lifetime,
    I’ve had enough of giving in.

    But I can only blame myself tonight,
    No one’s gonna save me,
    buried under twenty years of uncertainty.
    Can I confess my shame tonight? Looks are so deceiving,
    but buried somewhere deep inside is the real me.” (Louise Mosrie)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'I like to move it move it I like to move it.'

    Old souls and so many lifetimes trying to figure it all out, not quite from scratch but not remembering how far along the search you got before.
    I always say, "I'm looking for something"

    I don't know what but I'll know it when I find it. I just hope I find it this time around before its too late.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the capacity for questions like that is the biggest curse of humanity! And the biggest blessing. Combined. Because, as far as I can tell, when you get right down to the nitty gritty, we're here to breed. But something in us doesn't want to believe that, so we keep searching... and finding... nothing, or God, or inner peace, or something. The eternal dissatisfaction of mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ill have to think about it...
    But that Stacey Orrico one is always in myhead! Its a stupid pop song but man it means a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pacing the Cage (Bruce Cockburn)

    Sunset is an angel weeping
    Holding out a bloody sword
    No matter how I squint I cannot
    Make out what it's pointing toward
    Sometimes you feel like you live too long
    Days drip slowly on the page
    You catch yourself
    Pacing the cage

    I've proven who I am so many times
    The magnetic strip's worn thin
    And each time I was someone else
    And every one was taken in
    Powers chatter in high places
    Stir up eddies in the dust of rage
    Set me to pacing the cage

    I never knew what you all wanted
    So I gave you everything
    All that I could pillage
    All the spells that I could sing
    It's as if the thing were written
    In the constitution of the age
    Sooner or later you'll wind up
    Pacing the cage

    Sometimes the best map will not guide you
    You can't see what's round the bend
    Sometimes the road leads through dark places
    Sometimes the darkness is your friend
    Today these eyes scan bleached-out land
    For the coming of the outbound stage
    Pacing the cage
    Pacing the cage

    (Sometimes, Donnie Boy, it's just all about depth. It's like you know too much and there's so much there, it gets all clogged. Try some Draino).

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're here for a good time
    Not a long time
    -- Trooper

    Old Knudsen, are you looking for your cap?

    *waves Knudsie's cloth cap above head triumphantally*

    ReplyDelete
  13. and like a bridge over troubled water,
    i will lay me down.
    like a bridge over troubled water,
    i will lay me down.

    shine on silver bird...

    just popped in first, so here it is.

    i enjoyed this post alot! i'm coming back to read it again.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. David Bowie
    The Man Who Sold the World

    We passed upon the stair, we spoke of was and when
    Although I wasn't there, he said I was his friend
    Which came as some surprise I spoke into his eyes
    I thought you died alone, a long long time ago

    Oh no, not me
    I never lost control
    You're face to face
    With the man who sold the world

    I laughed and shook his hand, and made my way back home
    I searched for form and land, for years and years I roamed
    I gazed a gazely stare at all the millions here
    We must have died along, a long long time ago

    Who knows? not me
    We never lost control
    You're face to face
    With the man who sold the world

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lean on Me
    by Bill Withers

    Sometimes in our lives
    We all have pain
    We all have sorrow
    But if we are wise
    We know that there's always tomorrow

    Lean on me, when you're not strong
    And I'll be your friend
    I'll help you carry on
    For it won't be long
    'Til I'm gonna need
    Somebody to lean on


    And of course,

    Proud
    by Heather Smalls

    Still so many answers I don't know (there are so many answers)
    Realise that to question is how we grow (to question is to grow)
    So I step out of the ordinary
    I can feel my soul ascending
    I'm on my way
    Can't stop me now
    And you can do the same (yeah)

    What have you done today to make you feel proud?
    It's never too late to try
    What have you done today to make you feel proud?
    You could be so many people
    If you make that break for freedom
    What have you done today to make you feel proud?

    ReplyDelete
  16. the long and winding road

    (and I'm so glad that one of the doors it led me to was yours)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Damn you, sir, you've made me think. AGAIN.

    I'm at the stage
    Where everything I thought meant something seems so unappealing
    I'm ready for the real thing
    But nobody's selling
    Except you and yours
    Saying open up your eyes and ears
    And let me in
    You must be out of your brilliant mind.

    (Furniture)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I better leave right now
    (Will Young)

    ReplyDelete
  19. When the day is long and the night
    The night is yours alone...
    When you're sure you've had enough of this life...
    Well hang on
    Don't let yourself go...
    'Cause everybody cries
    And everybody hurts
    Sometimes


    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha
    Hoho
    Hehe
    Haha

    -The Chink...from "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" by Tom Robbins (no, not a song, but the answer to all my questions...FYI: AKA "Lila")

    ReplyDelete
  21. (oooooh! one of my all time favourite books - great music and literature all in one place. . . fabulous. . . can we cover some art soon too, please?)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Barry McGuires's "Eve of Destruction" still rattles around.

    "You're old enough for killin'
    But you're too young for votin'
    You say you don't believe in war
    But what's that you're totin'?"

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank You all so much these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. crappers... why is it that when someone says "think of a song" i have absolutely nothing, even though i am singing an dancing almost constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good idea Donn. I'll have to think about it because there are so many I love - will post and hat tip to you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous9:24 pm

    All the world to me's a stage
    And we are merely Players
    Performers and Portrayers
    Each another's audience
    Outside the gilded cage.

    ReplyDelete

Danke fĆ¼r das Kommentieren/Gracias por comentar/Merci du commentaire/Š’Ń‹ Š“Š»Ń ŠŗŠ¾Š¼Š¼ŠµŠ½Ń‚Š°Ń€Šøя/Thank You for commenting/Ī£Ī±Ļ‚ ĪµĻ…Ļ‡Ī±ĻĪ¹ĻƒĻ„ĻŽ Ī³Ī¹Ī± Ļ„Īæ ĻƒĻ‡ĪæĪ»Ī¹Ī±ĻƒĪ¼ĻŒ/Grazie per commentare/Tak for kommentaren...

click yer cursor matey...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...